Nicole's March 2022 Picks


I did a quick reread of the first two books in the Scythe trilogy because I wanted a refresh before I finally tackle the final book. They are even better than I remembered. Like actually this is objectively one of the best books ever. The writing is engaging, there is a sincere depth to each central character, the dystopian world building is fire, and the plot is off the charts fast-paced. All the 5 star ratings are well deserved.


Candid, chilling, and difficult to read at times, because the subject matter is so heavy--trigger warnings for drug abuse, pedophilia, and other troubling subjects. Summers does a fantastic job of unraveling this staggering narrative. She crafts a raw, direct protagonist in Sadie, and the podcast script is the perfect vehicle to tell the rest of her story when she is not telling it herself.


A wonderful group of young women building each other up to fight for what they believe in, and some incredibly important and well executed disabled main character representation. It’s fun, positive, and overall a feel-good read.
I’m a sucker for an soft emo monster boy, decrepit gothic mansions, and powerful sibling bonds. Dark magic, spooky lakes, demon deals. The same protective older sibling/younger sibling with magic they can’t control dynamic that I love about Sam and Dean in Supernatural. All narrative elements and tropes that I adore wrapped up in a YA gothic fantasy romance novel. I’m in love. 

This was another reread so I could get a refresh before the conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. The cast of characters is incredible. I loved every single member of the Mob, I loved the Inklings at the temple, I adored Celia and Anya. Those two, in particular, had a beautiful, genuine friendship, and it’s honestly rare to find such a strong and positive bond between two YA ladies. In fact, a bunch of the most central characters are strong women—Celia, Anya, Lupita, Kitty Kay, the other Mob gals. I really appreciated that, just as I appreciated the subtle world-building and magic system. There are plenty of characters who use they/them pronouns and it’s a completely normal aspect of life. If only we could give off auras that told people who we were, showed them our identities, without us having to explain ourselves.

My thoughts on the second book: A really enjoyable conclusion to the duology, but if I’m being completely honest, Ink in the Blood easily could have been a standalone. I’m not mad that this sequel exists - it was a solid, enjoyable four star read - but the plot of this story feels disconnected from the first in a lot of ways. There’s a new villain, a new conflict, and a distinctly different vibe. I would have liked to see more of the Rabble Mob; or have an opportunity to get to know characters I had already met instead of introducing new ones.




I did not expect to devour Fable the way I did, but I stayed up way later than I should have finishing this book. It’s hard to say exactly what had me so captivated. Young’s writing style and pacing worked perfectly for me, and there are certainly some of my favorite narrative elements here - found family, piracy, a kickass female protagonist who will not take shit from anyone. Fable, West, and the rest of the Marigold crew are so easy to fall in love with, and some poignant moments hit me surprisingly hard - especially the interactions between Fable and Saint. Highly recommend if you’re a fan of sea adventures! Also, this cover is everything.

The atmosphere is my favorite part of this book. Libba Bray clearly did a LOT of research about 1920s Manhattan, and that work paid off—it felt incredibly authentic and well put-together, with a nice dose of the supernatural. The plot/mystery that we follow was also clearly planned and executed effectively. I love occult-y serial killers apparently. Each character - Evie, Sam, Jericho, Mabel, Theta, Henry (my fave), and Memphis - gets their time to shine, and there wasn’t a single perspective I didn’t enjoy. Every voice was distinct, and their stories tangled together into an interesting web of a book.

Overall, really great and very much enjoyable, but only time will tell if these characters truly stick with me. I will definitely be picking up book two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Stories are awesome!

Books with strong female characters

August book picks from Saleena