Saleena's picks 5/5/22

 

I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did.  I honestly tried it based on random "you should read this" remarks I had seen around, but fully expected it to be the same old story with new faces.....but it wasn't.  

Skye enters a contest competing in a K-Pop competition aired on Korean TV.  She decides to compete both as a singer and a dancer, fully confident in her abilities; however, she is unsurprised to find that many doubt her dance abilities based on her weight, and even in the singing portion, she is questioned about "being willing to lose weight in order to be more attractive to an audience".  Skye has struggled to build her self esteem, and refuses to let anyone take that from her or to apologize for who she is, but she is still human and it is not easy being the focus of so much attention.  Adding to the attention is that infamous celebrity, Henry Cho, is also competing.  Of course she finds him attractive, but what I love is that he likes her back....no justification required just "I think you are amazing"...the main struggles are actually the intense social media focus and public opinions being overwhelming.  Lee has done a great job with this story, it is fun and sweet and uplifting.  Definitely one I will recommend.


I finally took the time to read Ash (it's from 2009, so WAY past time to read it).  I enjoyed it, but wasn't obsessed.  If you aren't familiar it's a twist on Cinderella but with more Fae elements (no fairy godmother) and with Ash falling for the female huntsman, instead of any prince (human or fairy).  I think maybe it was shocking in 09, but now is just "ok, so that's how the author is twisting it".....but don't get it twisted, I will always take a moment for a twisted fairy tale (I adore them, even when they are silly).  This one was really interesting, and the characters were all very believable, with tense moments as Ash struggles.  Definitely worth a read.






This was another "you should read this" book, I actually had to borrow it from another library (and now that I know it's good, wanted to buy it for the library, but it is out of print....sigh).  Anyway, I again, kind of expected something bland or whiny......but what I got was a girl from a very talented family who is struggling to find herself and is hoping that this camp will "fix her".  Brooklyn goes to a performing arts camp, quickly realizing that she only got in due to her mother's fame.....and is spiraling as she finds she isn't enjoying any parts of the camp....except for Zoe.  Zoe is her roommate, and Brooklyn quickly develops a crush on her, but what I find interesting is how Cherry slowly shows Brooklyn actually finding herself in unexpected ways at the camp, and as she grows in confidence, she also starts to figure out other parts of herself....maybe she doesn't really like girls "that way",  maybe her talents aren't in performing but in writing, and maybe she can open up to her friends and family about how she feels and her anxieties instead of keeping it all inside.  The author shows Brooklyn in the midst of figuring things out, and leaves it like that.....a work in progress....because that is what being a teen or indeed a human is; constantly working to figure out who you are and make it work.  I really enjoyed this, and encourage you to borrow it or find it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Stories are awesome!

Books with strong female characters

August book picks from Saleena