Nonfiction Reads!

 I wanted to dive into some nonfiction, so here is what I've read recently that I think you may enjoy.



I didn't expect this book to be so amazing, but it is.  The author jumps around (so not in any specific order) and incorporates images and notes to make history feel more.....impactful and recent.  The author updates some whitewashed historical facts, and also reminding readers that some facts have been lost or erased.  I love that the author is trying to make history more approachable and I think everyone should read this book, even if you aren't a history reading kind of person....because it can spark conversations and perhaps inspire you to learn more about some of the subjects and incidents mentioned.




I love fashion, so this book seemed like it would be interesting, and it was!  While focused on a Canadian viewpoint, it still works to illustrate the various ways culture impacts fashion as well as how many ethnic groups are taking their styles into the future based on their heritage.  This is a quick read but really cool.





This is a collection of poetry but they are all related to the poet's life and experiences.   She writes from her heart and shares her heartbreak and frustration in words which will touch your heart (they did mine at least).  I could see the images she evoked and feel the anger and sadness....so much from so few words.....poetry is amazing when done well.






I have read a few of Hutchinson's books but never read his memoir...so I decided it was time.  He goes through his difficulties with depression and coming out as well as his struggles in the 90's to even understand what it meant to be gay.  This is a really sad but important look into an author's early life....as well as showing how hard he fought to be himself and to get healthy.

Thanks for reading!

Saleena



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Stories are awesome!

August book picks from Saleena

Books with strong female characters