Short Stories are awesome!

 Want to find new authors or explore genres?  Try short story collections, especially if they are based on a theme!  Here are three story collections I finished this month that would be fun to explore.



Magic Has No Borders features South Asian folklore and magical stories told by South Asian authors.  I found some really interesting stories in this collection.  I adore finding new mythologies as well as new ways of looking at tales told a million times....and this collection filled both needs.  Some authors are well known, some don't have as much name recognition but the stories were a wide array of awesomeness.





Mystery is a genre I struggle with, as my lack of logic (I think I missed that line and stood in the one for Imagination twice...haha) means that I usually miss all the clues and feel dumb.  This collection was interesting though, as some were obvious "looking for an answer" mysteries, some were "this terrible thing happened, how do I fix it" and some were simply suspenseful jaunts around a mysterious event.  The stories are all joined by a single premise that in the story the main character sees a dead body for the first time....that's it.  So many options, so many different ways of handling that idea; and that is a reason why I love short stories and why this collection was a really fun read.




This collection of magic stories is united by a theme of having trans characters in a fantasy story.  You don't see many stories with trans characters as the focus, and especially not in a magical environment, so I was quite interested to see what this collection would look like.  It was really well done!  I especially loved the variety of stories told some angsty, some joyful, some angry and some with a bit of many things and emotions being shown.  I am a sucker for fantasy stories as anyone who knows me is aware; and I have been reading in the genre since I was 8, so finding new authors, characters and ways of looking at character development made me very happy.




Saleena

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August book picks from Saleena

Books with strong female characters