Summer Reads

 Hi, here are some interesting books I read this summer (you'll find more on our Manga/Comics blog as well).   =)   Saleena



This is an amazing book, featuring a 7th grade boy who has been through a lot, and just wants to be "normal" and blend in at his new school.  His family moved to a National Quiet Zone in Nebraska (with a funny name that escapes me now).  What is a Quiet Zone?  It's a place where internet, microwaves, radios and televisions are not allowed.....and Simon and his family like it that way.  Why?  Well, you'll find out as the story progresses....but I don't want to spoil it.  Suffice to say, he has good reasons.  As the school year progresses, Simon makes friends, his family deals with professional and personal issues and he learns that maybe, just maybe, it's okay to stand out......but only if you choose to.....and it's also okay to say no and hide from the world with your friends.  

Erin Bow has written a book that makes you laugh and cry and think.....with characters that feel like your neighbors.  This is an amazing book and you definitely should read it.


Briar is sent to live with her brother in NYC from her small town in Texas when her mental health is declining due to bullying and the atmosphere at her school.  Her brother is a drag queen, and as she is learning about the drag scene, she finds out about drag kings and decides to try it.  Yes, there are rivalries, and yes there is drama...but ultimately this is a story about a girl who just wants to be healthy, and to have friends (maybe a girlfriend?), and prosper.  
I love that this book speaks frankly about mental health issues and that Briar has such a supportive family.  This isn't a deep book, but a fun, quirky romantic story for anyone looking for one featuring an LGBTQ+ main character.....(and also not a lot of books explore drag kings, so it's nice to see it talked about).  




Finally, Mikuta's book, which I enjoyed....but didn't completely understand.    I liked the Alice in Wonderland vibe (it's why I read it), but either I missed some stuff or it just went over my head.....so I don't really understand why the magic works like it does or why it drips....(kinda gross actually); but I couldn't stop reading it to see where it went.

I never like to leave negative reviews, and this isn't one....it's simply saying that I maybe missed something?  Perhaps it's closely tied to a manga or anime that I didn't see?  I would love to have someone else's opinions, and viewpoints.....so feel free to chat with me about this one (or anything really)



Thanks for reading my reviews, what are you reading?

Saleena Longmuir, Teen Librarian/Supervisor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August book picks from Saleena

Short Stories are awesome!

March reads by Saleena